Show us your best shot of Victoria !!
Three categories: Wildlife, Natural Landscapes, Gardens.
Submissions now closed
Win a spot in our Urban Wildlife Stewardship Society 2020 calendar.
Welcome to our Exhibition of Finalists
Our online exhibition will open at 1 pm on Oct 5th – and will close at 9 am Oct 19th.
We encourage all voters to use our online platform below to vote for up to 10 of your favourite photographs. Voting is by donation.
Thank you for acknowledging our photographers and for generously supporting the work of UWSS.
Every voter who has voted by donation will be entered to win one of our three Voter Appreciation Prizes.
So please spread the word and tell your friends to get their votes in before the deadline. We will be selecting 12 winners according to the people’s popular vote.
If you would like to donate and be eligible for the voter awards, please fill out your information below and press DONATE.
Thank you and best of luck to all of our finalists and voters.
If you would like to own your very own, one of a kind, original work of art, then cast a bid in our blind ballot auction online by filling out the form below. Or cast a bid in person at the Lobby Lounge Gallery at 1442 Monterey Ave. in Oak Bay.
Each exhibition piece is framed in a simple black contemporary 8 x 10 frame.
Please join us for hot apple cider at our Opening Day Event on Oct 5th from 1 – 4 pm, and at our Awards Ceremony Closing Event on Oct 19th from 2.-4 pm, at the Lobby Lounge Gallery at 1442 Monterey Ave. in Oak Bay.
^^ EXAMPLE CALENDAR ^^
Calendar Pre-Sale sign up
If you would like to receive a discount on the UWSS 2020 calendar, featuring our 12 winning finalists please enter your email below and we will contact you when it is ready in early November
Those who join this pre-order list will receive the discounted rate of $15.
For orders of 3 or more a multiple order discount will apply.
Reg. Sale price is $20.
Vote on up to 10 of your favourite photos from our top 32 finalists!
Meet our Guest Judges
Frank is an avid naturalist and traveler who loves capturing nature’s treasures in both his photography and painting. Immersing himself in the great outdoors has always been a passion since his childhood. He teaches both photography and painting throughout the lower mainland. ‘British Columbia’ is Frank’s first book, and he is hinting at another in the works for the future.
Sam Rose Phillips
Sam Rose Phillips is a photographer based in what is now known as British Columbia. Her experience framing narratives alongside whale researchers, artists, organizations, and Indigenous communities has taught her that the most powerful way to shift hearts is to show the stories of love and rising that exist when we come together. She is currently directing her first feature-length documentary @turningthetidefilm.
Based on Vancouver Island, James Thompson has been capturing the dynamic interplay between the marine and terrestrial worlds along our beautiful coast for over 15 years. Published in books, magazines, and airports in Canada and internationally James leads photo workshops along the BC coast in partnership with Outer Shores Expeditions.
Jess spent his childhood hiking and bird-watching with his family, throughout the Pacific Northwest. This interest in the outdoors developed into a passion for artistically documenting living creatures and dramatic landscapes. Living in an area with charismatic wildlife rivaled only by the surrounding scenery, Jess has developed a unique style combining elements from both landscape and wildlife photography; creating contextual images that bridge the gap, speaking to both the animal’s and environment’s story.
Check out our Contest Prizes
Two nights stay at the Oak Bay Beach Hotel.
‘An Art Collectors Dream’
includes: a gallery wrapped canvas approximately 30″x 40“ from James Thompson’s Wolf Collection.
– James is one of our guest judges and we are honored to have him on our panel. His photography captures the infinite beauty of nature that is all around us with painstaking precision. See his work at jamesthompsonphotography.com
‘The Coffee Table at its Best’
includes: Two beautiful photographic coffee table books. “British Columbia – Graced by Nature’s Palette” by Frank Townsley, and “Birds of British Columbia” by Glenn Bartley. To compliment this collection we’ve added a box of locally handcrafted organic chocolates from ‘Pure Lovin Chocolates’.
– We are privileged to have Frank Townsley on our panel of judges. His book is a journey through the natural landscapes of beautiful British Columbia’s west coast. The interesting commentary that accompanies his images brings life and learning to every page. https://www.franktownsley.ca/
– Glenn Bartley is considered to be one of the world’s leading wildlife bird photographers. His work takes him to all corners of the earth photographing rare species and speaking to audiences about our winged friends. This book chronicles the birds of British Columbia in the most magnificent way. You will never wonder about a bird species again. http://www.glennbartley.com/
– Pure Lovin Chocolates is a Victoria based family business that is located in Fan Tan Alley. Their specially handcrafted chocolates are a work of art in themselves. Pure Lovin are also huge animal lovers and devotees to animal protection and wildlife conservation. https://www.purelovinchocolate.com
Early Bird Prize:
Two Passes to the Boathouse Spa Mineral Pools and Baths at the Oak Bay Beach Hotel will be awarded to the first finalist to enter the competition.
Voter’s Appreciation Prizes:
We would like to thank our voters for making the effort to consider all of the elements that go into taking a good photograph and supporting the work of our photographers. You do not have to vote for a winning photograph to qualify for these awards. We respect the efforts and skill of all our entrants. These prizes are in appreciate for your work and participation alone.
– We are fortunate to be able to enjoy the caliber of live theatre that the Belfry offers to this city and, Stages Wine Bar and the Fernwood Inn exemplify so perfectly, the spirit of community that we are most proud of here in Victoria.
Victoria Harbour Ferry Tours – Family package for 2 adults & 2 children
Sea Cider Farm & Cider House – Tour and tasting menu for 2 + 2 bottles of their Award winning ciders.