Show us your best shot of Victoria !!
Three categories: Wildlife, Natural Landscapes, Gardens.
Submission Dates: Sep. 1 – Sep. 20, 2019.
Win a spot in our Urban Wildlife Stewardship Society 2020 calendar.
Don’t leave home without your camera in August
Submission dates are fast approaching!
And it’s time to locate that perfect shot – Or snap another winning moment in Victoria.
Meet our Guest Judges
Frank is an avid naturalist and traveler who loves capturing nature’s treasures in both his photography and painting. Immersing himself in the great outdoors has always been a passion since his childhood. He teaches both photography and painting throughout the lower mainland. ‘British Columbia’ is Frank’s first book, and he is hinting at another in the works for the future.
Sam Rose Phillips
Sam Rose Phillips is a photographer based in what is now known as British Columbia. Her experience framing narratives alongside whale researchers, artists, organizations, and Indigenous communities has taught her that the most powerful way to shift hearts is to show the stories of love and rising that exist when we come together. She is currently directing her first feature-length documentary @turningthetidefilm.
Based on Vancouver Island, James Thompson has been capturing the dynamic interplay between the marine and terrestrial worlds along our beautiful coast for over 15 years. Published in books, magazines, and airports in Canada and internationally James leads photo workshops along the BC coast in partnership with Outer Shores Expeditions.
Jess spent his childhood hiking and bird-watching with his family, throughout the Pacific Northwest. This interest in the outdoors developed into a passion for artistically documenting living creatures and dramatic landscapes. Living in an area with charismatic wildlife rivaled only by the surrounding scenery, Jess has developed a unique style combining elements from both landscape and wildlife photography; creating contextual images that bridge the gap, speaking to both the animal’s and environment’s story.
Check out our Contest Prizes
Two nights stay at the Oak Bay Beach Hotel.
‘An Art Collectors Dream’
includes: a gallery wrapped canvas approximately 30″x 40“ from James Thompson’s Wolf Collection.
– James is one of our guest judges and we are honored to have him on our panel. His photography captures the infinite beauty of nature that is all around us with painstaking precision. See his work at jamesthompsonphotography.com
‘The Coffee Table at its Best’
includes: Two beautiful photographic coffee table books. “British Columbia – Graced by Nature’s Palette” by Frank Townsley, and “Birds of British Columbia” by Glenn Bartley. To compliment this collection we’ve added a box of locally handcrafted organic chocolates from ‘Pure Lovin Chocolates’.
– We are privileged to have Frank Townsley on our panel of judges. His book is a journey through the natural landscapes of beautiful British Columbia’s west coast. The interesting commentary that accompanies his images brings life and learning to every page. https://www.franktownsley.ca/
– Glenn Bartley is considered to be one of the world’s leading wildlife bird photographers. His work takes him to all corners of the earth photographing rare species and speaking to audiences about our winged friends. This book chronicles the birds of British Columbia in the most magnificent way. You will never wonder about a bird species again. http://www.glennbartley.com/
– Pure Lovin Chocolates is a Victoria based family business that is located in Fan Tan Alley. Their specially handcrafted chocolates are a work of art in themselves. Pure Lovin are also huge animal lovers and devotees to animal protection and wildlife conservation. https://www.purelovinchocolate.com
Early Bird Prize:
Two Passes to the Boathouse Spa Mineral Pools and Baths at the Oak Bay Beach Hotel will be awarded to the first finalist to enter the competition.
Voter’s Appreciation Prizes:
‘A Night Out in Fernwood Village’
includes: Two tickets to the Belfry Theatre production Bang Bang, a $40 gift certificate to the Fernwood Inn and Dessert and Wine for Two at Stages Wine Bar.
– We are fortunate to be able to enjoy the caliber of live theatre that the Belfry offers to this city and, Stages Wine Bar and the Fernwood Inn exemplify so perfectly, the spirit of community that we are most proud of here in Victoria.
Victoria Harbour Ferry Tours – Family package for 2 adults & 2 children
Sea Cider Farm & Cider House – Tour and tasting menu for 2 + 2 bottles of their Award winning ciders.